February 28, 2014 § Leave a comment
Having previously done a illustrative response and a typographical response, I began to expand on my typographical outcome. I did some experiments to see what would work.
For this experiment I used the same font as my typographical response. I used an image of the VMA award that Tyler won and placed the quote over the top to try and form the shape of the award. I thought this looked visually interesting until I removed the photo layer – then I realised it didn’t look good at all. Even when rotated, and I messed around with the colour a bit, it failed to look like the image I wanted, so I discarded this idea straight away.
I then started to use different fonts to see if I could get a better look from them. I also used a different quote. I was still not convinced that the designs were good enough, so I tried something different.
Using one of the sketches I did to create my original illustration idea of Tyler, I stylised it in photoshop to make it look more illustrative. I liked the appearance of it and thought it related to some of the imagery associated with Tyler – like the drawings they use on their clothing brands and album covers. I experimented with different typography and layering techniques until I came up with this poster (shown above) which I was quite happy with the outcome.
However, after the seminar on Thursday, I realised the concept was not as strong as my previous typographical designs, for which I got a better response for. So I am going to develop this one further for my final outcome – by experimenting and creating an array of layout.